CacaoEase: Lion’s mane, Maca, 5htp, B6, L-Theanine, C hamomile, Lecithin.
Neuroplasticity and neurogenesis are associated with nerve growth factor increases which are stimulated by lion’s mane mushroom (LM). Through the stimulation of hippocampal neurogenesis, LM could be used to treat depression within the neurogenic hypothesis of depression.1LM also possess antioxidative, immunostimulating, and anti-inflammatory properties.2The chemical composition of Maca has been reviewed and the constituents of maca possess neuroprotective, anticancer, heptoprotective, antifatigue, antioxidant, and reproductive health promoting properties.3-5Anti-depressant-like effects have been demonstrated in mice and were related to its anti-oxidant properties as well as dopaminergic and noradrenergic system activation.6Necessary for the production of serotonin and melatonin, L-5-hydroxytryptophan (5-HTP) is synthesized from the amino acid tryptophan.7 Tryptophan metabolism involves pyridoxine (B6) which can increase the production of 5-HTP.8 The cognitive enhancing and neuroprotective effects of L-Theanine have been explored as well as its ability to prevent cognitive dysfunction and its role in neurogenesis.9-12The anti-anxiety and anti-depressant effects of chamomile extract are clinically significant.13-15 Neuroprotective effects of theobromine found in Cacao have been explored as well its ability to normalize synaptic plasticity and antagonize adenosine receptors which may explain the lowered risk of cognitive decline associated with Cacao consumption.16Antioxidant flavanols found in Cacao are shown to decrease lipid oxidation and have beneficial effects on cardiovascular health.17Alzheimer’s disease preventive measures may include Methylxanthines found in Cacao which can be enhanced with a lipid-altering diet.18,19Lipid oxidation has long been associated with neurodegenerative diseases.20 Sunflower lecithin is also shown to have protective effects on the
1. Chong PS, Fung ML, Wong KH, Lim LW. Therapeutic Potential of Hericium erinaceus for Depressive Disorder. Int J Mol Sci. Dec 25 2019;21(1)doi:10.3390/ijms21010163
2. Friedman M. Chemistry, Nutrition, and Health-Promoting Properties of Hericium erinaceus (Lion's Mane) Mushroom Fruiting Bodies and Mycelia and Their Bioactive Compounds. J Agric Food Chem. Aug 19 2015;63(32):7108-23. doi:10.1021/acs.jafc.5b02914
3. Wang S, Zhu F. Chemical composition and health effects of maca (Lepidium meyenii). Food Chem. Aug 1 2019;288:422-443. doi:10.1016/j.foodchem.2019.02.071
4. Alasmari M, Bӧhlke M, Kelley C, Maher T, Pino-Figueroa A. Inhibition of Fatty Acid Amide Hydrolase (FAAH) by Macamides. Mol Neurobiol. Mar 2019;56(3):1770-1781. doi:10.1007/s12035-018-1115-8
5. Huang YJ, Peng XR, Qiu MH. Progress on the Chemical Constituents Derived from Glucosinolates in Maca (Lepidium meyenii). Nat Prod Bioprospect. Dec 2018;8(6):405-412. doi:10.1007/s13659-018-0185-7
6. Ai Z, Cheng AF, Yu YT, Yu LJ, Jin W. Antidepressant-like behavioral, anatomical, and biochemical effects of petroleum ether extract from maca (Lepidium meyenii) in mice exposed to chronic unpredictable mild stress. J Med Food. May 2014;17(5):535-42. doi:10.1089/jmf.2013.2950
7. Maffei ME. 5-Hydroxytryptophan (5-HTP): Natural Occurrence, Analysis, Biosynthesis, Biotechnology, Physiology and Toxicology. Int J Mol Sci. Dec 26 2020;22(1)doi:10.3390/ijms22010181
8. Calderón-Guzmán D, Hernández-Islas JL, Espitia-Vázquez I, et al. Pyridoxine, regardless of serotonin levels, increases production of 5-hydroxytryptophan in rat brain. Arch Med Res. Jul-Aug 2004;35(4):271-4. doi:10.1016/j.arcmed.2004.03.003
9. Nathan PJ, Lu K, Gray M, Oliver C. The neuropharmacology of L-theanine(N-ethyl-L-glutamine): a possible neuroprotective and cognitive enhancing agent. J Herb Pharmacother. 2006;6(2):21-30.
10. Kakuda T. Neuroprotective effects of theanine and its preventive effects on cognitive dysfunction. Pharmacol Res. Aug 2011;64(2):162-8. doi:10.1016/j.phrs.2011.03.010
11. Yoneda Y, Kuramoto N, Kawada K. The role of glutamine in neurogenesis promoted by the green tea amino acid theanine in neural progenitor cells for brain health. Neurochem Int. Oct 2019;129:104505. doi:10.1016/j.neuint.2019.104505
12. Yoneda Y. An L-Glutamine Transporter Isoform for Neurogenesis Facilitated by L-Theanine. Neurochem Res. Oct 2017;42(10):2686-2697. doi:10.1007/s11064-017-2317-6
13. Amsterdam JD, Li QS, Xie SX, Mao JJ. Putative Antidepressant Effect of Chamomile (Matricaria chamomilla L.) Oral Extract in Subjects with Comorbid Generalized Anxiety Disorder and Depression. J Altern Complement Med. Sep 2020;26(9):813-819. doi:10.1089/acm.2019.0252
14. Keefe JR, Mao JJ, Soeller I, Li QS, Amsterdam JD. Short-term open-label chamomile (Matricaria chamomilla L.) therapy of moderate to severe generalized anxiety disorder. Phytomedicine. Dec 15 2016;23(14):1699-1705. doi:10.1016/j.phymed.2016.10.013
15. Amsterdam JD, Shults J, Soeller I, Mao JJ, Rockwell K, Newberg AB. Chamomile (Matricaria recutita) may provide antidepressant activity in anxious, depressed humans: an exploratory study. Altern Ther Health Med. Sep-Oct 2012;18(5):44-9.
16. Valada P, Alçada-Morais S, Cunha RA, Lopes JP. Thebromine Targets Adenosine Receptors to Control Hippocampal Neuronal Function and Damage. Int J Mol Sci. Sep 10 2022;23(18)doi:10.3390/ijms231810510
17. Garcia JP, Santana A, Baruqui DL, Suraci N. The Cardiovascular effects of chocolate. Rev Cardiovasc Med. Dec 30 2018;19(4):123-127. doi:10.31083/j.rcm.2018.04.3187
18. Janitschke D, Lauer AA, Bachmann CM, et al. Methylxanthines Induce a Change in the AD/Neurodegeneration-Linked Lipid Profile in Neuroblastoma Cells. Int J Mol Sci. Feb 18 2022;23(4)doi:10.3390/ijms23042295
19. Oñatibia-Astibia A, Franco R, Martínez-Pinilla E. Health benefits of methylxanthines in neurodegenerative diseases. Mol Nutr Food Res. Jun 2017;61(6)doi:10.1002/mnfr.201600670
20. Reed TT. Lipid peroxidation and neurodegenerative disease. Free Radic Biol Med. Oct 1 2011;51(7):1302-19. doi:10.1016/j.freeradbiomed.2011.06.027
21. Mansouri H, Farhoosh R, Rezaie M. Interfacial performance of gallic acid and methyl gallate accompanied by lecithin in inhibiting bulk phase oil peroxidation. Food Chem. Oct 30 2020;328:127128. doi:10.1016/j.foodchem.2020.127128
Send a message with any questions or doubts.